Dialectical Responses Menu
1. (Q) Question – Ask about something in the passage that is
2. (C) Connect – Make a connection to your life, the world, or
something you knew or perhaps saw on TV.
3. (P) Predict – Anticipate what will it be about based on the title
and the introduction.
4. (CL) Clarify – Answer earlier questions or confirm/disaffirm a
prediction. Write down words you don’t understand or questions
you have about what you read.
5. (R) Reflect – Think deeply about what you just read. What
conclusions can you draw about the world, about human
nature, or just the way things work?
6. (E) Evaluate - Make a judgment about the specific part you
7. (V) Visualize - Based on the details you provide, I imagine . . .