Qualities of Effective Description:
a) may inform or persuade readers as supporting
evidence in a body paragraph
b) may engage readers in an essay's introduction
c.) purposeful - usually features a dominant impression
d.) usually appeals to multiple senses (sight, sound,
smell, touch, taste)
DESCRIPTION IN A BODY PARAGRAPH:
SPECIFIC TOPIC SENTENCE: DOMINANT IMPRESSION
DESCRIPTIVE DETAILS, SUPPORTING THE DOMINANT
PROVIDES CLOSURE AND/OR A TRANSITION TO THE
NAME IT & DETAIL IT:
USE AT LEAST TWO SENSES (SIGHT, SOUND, SMELL, ETC.)
TO PROVIDE DETAILS ABOUT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
SUBJECTS. BE CREATIVE!
1. The groom's attire was quite unusual.
2. The bridesmaids seemed embarrassed about the
matching gowns that they were forced to wear.
3. The flower girl seemed quite bored.
4. The father did not hide his anger.
5. The ring-bearer seemed prepared to cause some
An effective description body paragraph features:
a.) a clear topic sentence
d.) appeal to multiple senses
e.) concrete word choices
f.) appropriate organization